Spring is finally here. We’ll have a bit of rain here and there but after the winter we’ve had, big deal! Put on your rain coats and puddle boots and have a great time. Here are things you can do outside with your kids this weekend.
- Seriously – put on your rain coats and puddle boots and stomp in the puddles. Everyone will dry and clothes will wash. You’re never too old for a good puddle stompin’ party. My sister and I were eying each other and a huge puddle at Chili’s this week.
- Find three “spring” birds. To help you get started, look for grackle, red-winged blackbird, cowbird, American goldfinch, purple finch, phoebe. All About Birds should be helpful.
- How many different kinds of buds can you find in your yard? How about pussy willows?
- Put up a bird house. (But not a bird feeder unless you bring it in overnight. Hungry bears love bird feeders.)
- Put up a bat house. It’s early but they’ll be flying soon. They need all the help they can get because of White Nose Syndrome. I didn’t see a single bat last here last year.